Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Beyond Method #6

Having directed patrons to Project Gutenberg and Libravox in the past,  I have found these sites very useful for getting to older resources that the library it not have.  Project Gutenberg, for my purposes, was very easy to use, but I have not had the pleasure of downloading a book from that site to an ereader.  I have read at least one complete book on my computer which was not all that pleasurable an experience.  The immediate question harkens back to the old Beta/VHS debate, but one would hope that it would morph into the PC/Mac "compromises".  It would be my hope that there are the beginnings of conversations between the upper echelons of the library world and the publishing companies and technology industry to begin discussing how libraries can best embrace the ebook format.  What could be more beautiful than a patron finding a book in a library's OPAC then downloading it onto whatever ereader they possess all from the comfort of their living room couch (which by the way is exactly where I am right now)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment